Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Hi, this page is about what PMS is and how to deal with it :). Now, what is PMS? PMS stands for premenstrual syndrome, it is the array of symptoms you could feel 1-2 weeks before your period starts.
These symptoms can include:
- Weight gain related to fluid retention
- Abdominal bloating
- Breast tenderness
- Joint or muscle pain
- Acne flare-ups
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Poor concentration
- Depressed mood
- Trouble falling asleep (insomnia)
- Social withdrawal
- Mood swings and irritability or anger
- Appetite changes and food cravings
- Tension or anxiety
Now I know that seems like a lot and it’s really scary but in reality, people only experience a couple of these symptoms the weeks before their period.
How do you deal with this??
- If the symptoms are bad enough then you can talk to your doctor for some kind of medication
- You can also use over the counter medication like ibuprofen and Midol.
- Physical exercise
- Aerobic activity for 20-30 minutes can improve circulation
- Exercise may help with depression and mood.
- Therapy focused on negative thoughts and behaviors can also help.
- Smaller more frequent meals can help with bloating
- Limiting salt can also help with bloating as well
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Reduce stress
- Get lots of sleep (take a nap)
- Try a deep breathing exercise like yoga or a massage